Thursday, October 28, 2010

.....STOP Zero Tolerance policies.........


I understand why "Zero Tolerance" policies have come to be.  Things like - zero tolerance for drugs in school, zero tolerance for guns at school, zero tolerance for drunk driving, etc.  But, is it really more "fair and just" to have such policies in the first place?

I say NO, these policies are flawed and they take the human aspect out of all situations.  Why can't we train people to take action in various situations and trust their judgment?  Will mistakes be made if we go back to the days of old?  OF COURSE!  Are mistakes being made now?  OF COURSE!

Case in point,  On Sunday September 19, a group of kids in Overland Park, Kansas went to their neighborhood school to play, while school was NOT in session.  The children were around 11 years old.  One child brought an air soft gun to school.  The kids played, like kids do, and shared the gun. Airsoft guns shoot little plastic BB's.  One child was shot with a BB and told his parents, who called the police.  No one wished to file any charges, so the police took no action.

The Shawnee Mission School District found out about this incident and began their own investigation.  One little girl, Alyssa Cornish, who is a Fifth Grade Student, has been suspended until January for playing with the gun.  Alyssa is a straight "A" student and a member of the student council.

Now, mind you, I have vast experience as a police officer and in training and research of school violence.  I have written action plans for area schools and colleges on violence, so while I may not be a true "expert" - I am well versed on these types of situations.  What good does it do society to have this little girl at home and not in a normal class room setting, until January???  None.  This is overkill!

11 year old kids make mistakes.  They don't look at the world like you and I do.  They don't always comprehend consequences, like maybe they should.  Is it wrong to have guns at school?  Of course.  But suspending a student for three months!  That is like killing a butterfly with a bazooka!  I advocate each case being reviewed on its on merits and stop this silliness!  We must keep the students best interest at heart.

For the facts and the whole story, I refer you to the Kansas City Star's Wednesday October 27, 2010 Issue -  CLICK HERE!!!



Had School been in session, I would have supported this punishment, but I believe the kids distinguished this as play time and not being school property.

I would welcome any thoughts on this story or any zero tolerance situation in life!  Have a great day and please dwell on what I always say, "If we can't agree - let's at least be Civil!!!"

2 comments:

  1. Zero Tolerance is a political buzz term that sounds good in sound bites. In reality, it makes Zero Sense. It says the decision makers can't be trusted to make the right decisions in case by case situations. If that's true, don't invent a "policy," install better decision makers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I agree with you on this. None of the parents pressed charges and I really think considering it took place when school was OUT that the school shouldn't even get involved. It will do no good for this little girl to be out of school for 3moths. It will only makes things worse. Kids are going to be kids and we need to let them be kids until they are ready to move up. We are pushing our children way to hard and then having them make adult choices. And if they do just a little something wrong or make a little mistake they are punished way to severly. My heart goes out to this little girl who has tried so hard to do well in school and now has to face this. There are gonna be flaws in everything. And I support the Zero Tolerance Act, but you are right, this is way overkill. A counselor once told me with me dealing with my oldest "choose your battles". "More times than most no blood is shed". Don't go overboard with punishments. I try to hold onto that in everyday life. The school needs to do the same.
    Cara Davis

    ReplyDelete