Sunday, December 19, 2010

.....What do I see in a Sunset / Sunrise??.....

July 12, 2010 - Newton County, Missouri Sunrise


The Sun rises and the Sun sets.  People go on about their lives.  Some notice, some don't.  

Recently, I have noticed several people remarking about the perceived time I spend on Facebook and the pictures I post from work - most of which are of the Sun setting or the Sun rising (Of course I throw in the occasional country brook for some variety).  People have laughed, made jokes, even asked, "Are you like really bored at work?"

No, I am not bored.  You see I am a cop and after 18 years in this job I do not see the World like most of you.  I am jaded and laugh at things that would make you puke.  I cry at things no person was never meant to see.  I have held people literally as they have taken their last breaths.

You see, I know the truth.  The truth is, as you read this you do not know what the future holds.  As you leave for work today and kiss your kids and your spouse goodbye - you say, "I love you, I will see you after work."  The truth is - you "hope" to see them after work because only God knows if you will.  Car accidents, heart attacks, natural disasters, crimes, etc. sometimes get in the way of your "plans".

Now, I do not mean for this post to be gloomy and sad - to the contrary - I want you to understand - Why?  Why, do I post the Sun rising and setting?  Because, I have learned to see the sheer beauty nature has to offer every single day.  I, now, take it in - I savor it.  I say a prayer and thank God for allowing me the opportunity to witness what he has made for me. As I post images of what I perceive as nature's beauty, I hope you will better understand and you will pause with me to pray and ask for peace. Ask for more love in the World, ask for a society where you don't need me to be a police officer.

I am thankful, because the truth is - this might be my last Sunrise.  Only God knows.  Please, enjoy it with me!

October 23, 2010 - South of Redings Mill, Missouri

2 comments:

  1. Steve - Very well put. Thanks. Greg S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, this is very well said! I, too, see the sunrises and sunsets and thank God for the beautiful "painting" that was created. I always have my kids come outside and look at them too. I believe that it is only right to share some of the beauty that is created daily. You are right, we never know what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete