Wednesday, December 01, 2010

....Should America Have the Death Penalty???....



I hope to stir some debate on this issue, because more than anything else I want to help myself understand how I really feel on this issue.  I have found myself struggling with the Death Penalty, over the course of the past couple of years.  Now, before my Conservative Friends flip out on me here, I have some "off the wall reasons" why and they are not what you hear in the mainstream.

For my Liberal Friends, let me be clear - I have no compassion for anyone who murders or rapes another person.  If they are guilty, they need to suffer - just like their victims did!  If it were up to me and not the Constitution, I would say anyone who is proven to have killed another person should die by the same method used on their victim.  For example, you use a chain saw to cut up some poor person, we get a chain saw and.........well you get the idea!

Ok, now for this issue.  I feel doubt about the application of the Death Penalty, for three reasons. First, it is terribly expensive to carry out the long process of putting someone to death and it takes many years.  MSNBC had a decent article titled, "To execute or not: A question of Cost?", which was published in March of 2009.  It details stories from many states and its clear - it costs way more to have an inmate put to death than house them for life!

Second, I am concerned about the Judicial System making a mistake.  As remote as it may be, one mistake is way to many here on an act you can not undo.  The system is not full proof and as much as I will upset some of you, I do believe there are different forms of "Justice" based on your economic standing in society and this is a moral wrong.  Defendants with money to hire the best lawyers, in my opinion, get a better defence than those who must use Public Defenders.  I welcome arguments to this point, but this is my experience and it concerns me!  Along this line, Justice John Paul Stevens (whom I rarely ever agreed with), had a great article in the New York Times recently on this very topic.

Third, and the strongest reason I am struggling with this is the mere desire in my soul for punishment and yes, I will be honest - revenge.  I believe a person who commits the absolute worst crimes against society should face the worst punishment.  I have spent much time speaking to inmates, who have been housed in prisons, and employees of Correctional Institutions.  Both of these classes of individuals affirm to me, it is worse to be in the General Population of any Medium to Maximum Security Prison, than it is to be in solitary confinement - like most all Death Row Inmates.

I say put the meanest with the meanest and if they kill each other in Jail, then so be it.  Maybe not politically correct, but again, if they have been proven guilty - so be it!

As always, I welcome your thoughts........If we can't agree - Let's at least be civil!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment