Tuesday, December 14, 2010

....Christmas Ornaments bring joy and tradition.....

This weeks article for the Midwest Times

            Christmas brings so much joy and so many varying traditions to families all over the World. As I grew up, there were fun traditions in my family.  On Christmas Eve we would go to my Mamaw and Granddad’s for food – then off to Neosho’s First Christian Church for the wonderful candlelight service – then back to Mamaw and Granddad’s for presents.
            On Christmas Day, we would get up early to see what gifts Santa Claus had Brought and then for as long as I can remember, my parents would host an open house on Christmas afternoon.  Their friends would come over and share in fellowship, food, and just good times.  This was a unique tradition, as not many families invite others to their home on such a joyous day.
            Another family tradition, which I still carry on with my family is the ritual of decorating the Christmas Tree with ornaments.  Now, I am sure most of you do this too, but we try to add some unique items to our ornaments and we hold on to them forever.  You see I have ornaments from the time I was born to 2010.  We add new collectible type ornaments each year and we also add personalized ones – unique to our family. 
            I have more than thirty handmade sterling silver ornaments which were individually made by my Aunt Marg.  She made me a new ornament each year for as long as she lived.  One each year and she even made a couple of extras to be held back by my mother to be presented even after Aunt Marg had passed away.  They are dated for each respective year and every time I look at them, I remember her kindness and hard work.
            I have political ornaments.  Probably more than any sane person should have, but I love politics, so I am most certainly not sane!  I have an ornament made out of a button from 1956, when my Grandfather – Herbert Douglas – was the Republican candidate for Missouri’s United States Senate Seat.  I have one that says, “Vote Republican!”  I have one that has a yellow ribbon on it and a prayer hoping for the safe return of American hostages, from the Embassy in Tehran, from the Christmas of 1980.
            I have many ornaments with pictures of my kids, as they have grown up, or their handprints from grade school.  There are those with the family dog, Dharma.  Being a cop, there are handcuff ornaments, too!  How many people have handcuffs on their tree?
            Of course, we have the traditional snowmen, angels, Santa’s, reindeer, sleds, and candy canes.  The traditional ornaments are nice because they give that holiday flair to the tree and our living room.  An angel is much more Christmassy than an ornament with a picture of Ronald Reagan, but in my house they are close to being on the same level!!! 
            Speaking of ornaments on a high level, no story about my Christmas tree would be complete without me telling you of my red and yellow ornaments.  These are the ornaments representing my favorite professional football team, the Kansas City Chiefs!  There is the KC Chiefs Blimp, the Arrowhead ornament, the KC Helmet, and of course a football with the Chiefs logo.
            I hope you enjoy your ornaments as much as I enjoy mine, because I view them as much more than decorations on a tree.  They are a symbol of celebration.  They celebrate the birth of Christ and are hung to honor him and brighten up the cold winter in his memory.  They also celebrate the life of my family and the many experiences we have shared together.  There are ornaments I hope to hand down to my children and someday – my grandchildren. 
            Each ornament is special as it takes a place in my heart and my mind.  They allow memories to flourish and grow.  On Christmas Day, my Family will sit beneath the tree and while we may not have as many gifts as some families, we will cherish the greatest gift we have – each other – and we will reflect on the fun our ornaments bring us.

No comments:

Post a Comment