Monday, December 06, 2010

....Two men who have impacted many lives.....

            In the fall of 1862 and 1864, blood was shed near Newtonia, Mo. by Patriots of a Nation trying to find themselves and establish the direction of America.  The Civil War raged and changed our Country forever.  Many of you are aware of the Battles which took place in our own back yard and how these battles continue to affect us today.  I am sure there were heroes in each of the Newtonia Battles and I wish I knew more about their individual stories, but today I want to point out some modern day heroes.  These modern day heroes walk the same grounds as our ancestors did all those years ago.  They have even shed their own sweat and blood into the very same dirt, as those from the Civil War.  These two men have volunteered countless hours to preserve the Battlefield and assist its progress into the National Park System.
            As a young man, I attended school in Neosho and I had many wonderful talented teachers.  I was blessed, but being a dumb young kid I did not know it.  I took many things for granted, including the efforts put into making me more knowledgeable and a better person.  Two of these teachers became heroes for me, as they changed my life – each in their own unique way – by giving me tools I needed to later take care of my family.  So, it is no surprise to me to witness these same two men working as hard, maybe even harder, in their retirement than they did in their teaching days.
            If you have not been to the Newtonia Battlefield or the Ritchey Mansion lately, you should drive by and see how great it all looks.  The area has drawn National attention by being featured in a documentary on Public Television and by being considered for inclusion as a National Park.  These accomplishments do not “just” happen.  There has to be hard working advocates pushing these things along.  There are many worthy geographical sites and philosophical causes, all across the country, screaming to be recognized and grabbing for available Federal Dollars.
            If not for many worthy volunteers, including my two Heroes – Don Jessen and Russell Hively – this much sought after attention would have easily passed over Newtonia and like the soldiers who fought there 148 years ago, been forgotten.  I can not tell you the number of times I have come across these two men as they either worked in Newtonia or were preparing to leave Neosho, with supplies, to accomplish whatever task was at hand for the day.  They have given their time, their own money, and their hearts to make this area better for future generations.
            Both Mr. Jessen and Mr. Hively were accomplished and well respected classroom teachers.  They affected so many lives in so many positive ways.  I can not imagine the number of students who must have walked in and out of their lives over the years.  They each left a piece of themselves with all of these young people, in an effort to better our society and teach someone to be even smarter than they are.  My only regret is not realizing their greatness as men, when I was with them every day in a “captive” environment. 
            I have often heard people make the statement, “If I can affect one person in a positive way during my life, then my life will have been a success”.  Here we have two men, who not only affected many lives during the course of their professional lives, but now in “retirement” they continue to affect more.  Not only is it the living they wish to affect, but also the dead.  They honor the sacrifices made by so many of our ancestors, nearly a sesquicentennial ago.  It is time we honor these two men and recognize what they have done for us. 
            The next time you drive by the Newtonia area, near the old Battlefields or the Ritchey Mansion, look for some “old” guys in pickups.  They will be the ones with dirt on their hands and sweat on their brows.  Don’t just drive by and wave – stop and say, “Thank you.”

1 comment:

  1. Steve, great commentary for two gentlemen that HAVE done a GREAT job! Their teaching spirit is a gift not a vocation.

    ReplyDelete