Monday, May 09, 2011

I miss Craig Schultz of the Kansas City Police Department

Craig Schultz

Early in my law enforcement career, I became interested in traffic accident investigation.  I sought all the training I could find, in the field, and I asked as many questions as I could.  I attempted to be competent and professional.  In the pursuit of this goal, I attended a great many hours of accident investigation at the Missouri Safety Center, which was located on the Campus of Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg.

It was through the classes, at the Missouri Safety Center, I would meet Craig Schultz.  Craig was a police officer in Kansas City, Missouri.  We were teamed up with a couple of other investigators on several of our practical exercises.  We learned all facets of crash investigation, from passenger vehicles / light trucks, to motorcycles, and commercial vehicles.  Craig was an avid motorcycle rider and he taught me a great deal of motorcycle dynamics.  I appreciated his help and respected him as an intelligent peer.

Craig got me a really cool wooden night stick used by the Kansas City Police.  It is like the old billy clubs carried by cops in the 1950's.  In the end of the club, by the handle - are the letters "K.C.P.D.".  I appreciated him getting this for me.  Although, I would later get a second one from a friend, in Neosho, it is Craig's who really meant something.

I wish I could tell Craig how much I have carried that wooden baton - as a matter of fact it sits beside me in my patrol car every shift to this very day!  But, I can't tell Craig, because he perished ten years ago today - on May 09, 2001 - doing what he loved most - riding his Kansas City Police Motor Unit to am injury accident.  Craig apparently hit a slick spot on an off ramp and crashed his bike - losing his life.  I miss him.  I think of him often - every time I look at my baton.

Craig was a great guy and I am so glad he came into my life.  Craig, after ten years, I want you to know how much I miss seeing you at classes to flash that dumb ass grin at me and then to make fun of me when I screwed up.  Peace my friend - I will see you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment