Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Nothing is more important than an Education, in America - NOTHING!


In the February 5th edition of the Kansas City Star, there is an article about the academic success of Asian Students in Kansas City area schools.  The article may be found HERE.

Clearly, this article addresses a stereotypical issue in America, as there has always been a stereotype of Asians and their intelligence.  However, after studying this issue – I have found it interesting and believe we can all learn from what is taking place.

As you read the KC Star article (there are several others online, which are similar), it becomes clear – this is not about a stereotype – this is about a way of life.  It’s about an expectation.

The Asian Families discussed in the article clearly place a high value on the importance of education.  Education comes before all else.  Anything less than an “A” is not acceptable.  Many hours are spent, by every student mentioned, on homework.

We need to consider the values being taught by these families, as they are similar to the values placed on education by early American Families.  Today, however; it is “acceptable” to many families for their children to perform at a lower level than their capabilities.  I mean, if a student is capable of achieving an “A”, but brings home a “C”, many families have no consequences to the child.

Many parents refuse to partner with the school district, instead they wish to complain about the educators and blame them for the child’s failings.  If a child fails at an education – we ALL lose. 

I hope to become an advocate for greater change in this arena.  I want to do all I can to push our children to do more and succeed.  I recently spoke to a School Administrator, who expressed frustration at the acceptance of “mediocrity”.  I could not agree more.

I have long advocated for improved academics at Neosho’s Schools.  Our School System is good.  It is true Neosho has a higher proportion of lower income children, than some other Central Ozark Conference Schools, but I do not accept the notion lower income kids can’t perform as well as higher income students.  I flat out reject the argument. 

We must do as the KC Star article says and give kids the tools to succeed and then demand, yes demand, they perform at a high level!  America depends on great public education!

If we can't agree.....Let's at least be Civil!

2 comments:

  1. I feel public education is the failure, not our children. I WISH I had time this evening because I could go on and on and on about this subject! If youre interested...look up and read about John Holt, John Taylor Gatto, Alfie Kohn, etc. Conveniently, I have links to all of them (plus a lot more) on my website, lol: www.freerangelearning.com

    I will definitely make it a point to follow up with the comments tomorrow, when I HOPE to have more time.

    Stacey Becker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing more from you AND I agree with the way you put that statement. I agree the "system" is broken. When I say how important Public Education is to America, I mean the ideal of a free quality education to ALL citizens. I am an advocate for reforms on many levels. I feel most of these reforms must begin at the local level. I am not an advocate of micro-management from the Federal Government. What works in California may or may not work in Southern Missouri and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete