Thursday, February 24, 2011

Drunk Drivers Kill Little Children




I never met Melissa Keif.  But I have known so many little girls like her.  I imagine she was like my daughter, Chelsah, vibrant full of life – not a care in the world.  But, Unlike Chelsah, who is asleep in her room as I write this; Melissa is in a world of permanent rest. Peaceful rest I hope, but her journey was not peaceful.

On Monday, February 21st, Melissa was killed on a lonely stretch of Missouri Highway 37, near Butterfield, Missouri.  Melissa was a passenger in a car, which was struck by a 26 year old suspected drunk driver. 

The really sad part of this story, besides the loss of Melissa itself is - this is a repeat.  This story has been repeated hundreds, no thousands of times, since cars were invented.  Most of you will know someone who has been killed, injured or struck by a drunk driver.  But, what is sad is most of you bore at hearing “another drunk driving story”.  Well, this is not JUST another drunk driving story – this is the story of a family and a child.

It could have been your family – it could have been your child. When will we wake up and do something about this?  Our laws can only go so far, it takes a real change in mentality – we must not tolerate anyone driving under the influence.

I don’t care that driving while intoxicated is illegal – I care that drivers driving while intoxicated KILL little girls.  They kill little boys.  They kill people nearly everyday. 

This is senseless – take action and stand with me in solidarity for tougher penalties and action.  If not for me, will you do it for little 10 year old Melissa?

No comments:

Post a Comment