Friday, February 28, 2014

Severe Weather Forecasting IS about saving lives.... NOT hype and ratings!!!!

I may certainly live to regret, this blog post, but as you all know I am not one to shy away from my opinion, so here it goes......

I enjoy weather research and weather forecasting.  As you most likely know, I REALLY enjoy severe weather.  Severe weather forecasting is important to me, because I care about giving back to the community and helping people.  I want to be clear here, I am NOT an expert forecaster and have NO formal training, so take my opinion for what it is worth.... It is free!

I write to you, this evening, frustrated by the local media, in the Joplin Market.  There is a lot of hype about tomorrow's winter storm.  Headlines about advice from electricians and what to do if your power goes out.  That is important information to know, SO I do not intend to minimize their advice.  My concerns lie with what is actually being forecasted, by the professionals, at the National Weather Service (NWS) in Springfield, Mo. and Tulsa, Ok.  These professionals ARE forecasting freezing rain, for much of the four state area, tomorrow night and into Sunday.  BUT.........................

As I review the forecast and look at the projected ice amounts, I would like to bring some reality (in my opinion, to this hype):
The map, above, has been released by the NWS Springfield Office, and is valid as of 02-28-2014, at 18:30 hours (that is 6:30 p.m.).  Look closely, at the projected accumulations of ice, .10 (1/10th) to .50 (1/2) inch of ice is projected, by the professionals.  To put this into perspective, in December of 2013, just a couple of months ago, we had a similar ice storm with accumulations of .50 to .75 inch of ice.  Some people DID lose power, particularly in SE Kansas and areas of West Central Missouri.  These outages were brief and did not cause major life threatening emergencies. 

I also acknowledge the forecast is for 30 mph winds, tomorrow night, which may cause some tree branches to fall.  Again, this is similar to the December 2013 storm.

My concern is this, people in the 4-State Area, panic when they hear "Ice Storm" and "Power Outages" and for good reason!!!  We recall December 1987 and January of 2007.  Those were devastating storms with catastrophic losses.  People were out of power for weeks!  People had life threatening emergencies, during both of those historical events.

I wish to bring some calm, to this forecast, and as I stated, at the beginning, I hope I don't live to regret this blog post; HOWEVER, here I go...... this storm will NOT be anywhere near the proportion of those past historic storms.  This storm will bring some inconveniences to us and will most likely make travel hazardous to inadvisable, BUT it is NOT going to close down our communities and cause unrest in the street!!!

I find it irresponsible of media outlets to hype the storm with headlines that "scare" people.  It is wrong.  I try to be as accurate as possible, when I make weather posts, where others rely on me.  The broadcast media has WAY more responsibility to you, than I do, BUT they care about ratings and making advertising dollars. 

Please do watch the weather for updated forecasts and plan accordingly.  Be safe, as you travel and slow down.  Carry winter survival gear and extra food, if you must be out.  Check with the NWS Springfield's website, which may be found by clicking here.  But, Please don't believe all the hype and panic.  I have seen social media remarks from people who are fearful of this storm.  I don't see it being as bad as what some are predicting, as far as the power interruptions go.

I make mistakes and I usually fall victim to Murphy's Law, so if I am wrong here, I will be the first to admit it, BUT as I sit here tonight, I don't believe the HYPE!  Have a safe weekend! 

If we can't agree (with the broadcast media), can't we at least be civil?????????

1 comment:

  1. So not looking forward to this!! What's up with this weather?? One min 60 degrees and the next their calling for ice and snow!! Really?!!?

    ReplyDelete