Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Be Happy and Live your Hobby


Lee Trevino, who was a fantastic professional golfer said, “Golf isn't just my business, it's my hobby.”  What a wonderful thought.  He did something he loved and was paid well to do it!

I know we can’t all be like Lee and become rich off of our hobbies, but maybe we can become happier and wealthier emotionally by partaking of them more often.  Life is not all about money, it’s about the experiences along the way!

Some people like to fish.  Fishing is a wonderful hobby for the calmness and relaxation it can bring to the Angler.  My Grandfather loved to fish, although he did not get to go as often as he liked.  He taught me the joys of watching birds fly by and the beauty of the sun rising along the creek, while his line dangled in the water.  He did not have to catch a fish to be happy.

There are those who enjoy hunting.  My friend, Cameron Kruse, loves to hunt.  He has gone deer hunting for many years and he has forgotten more about hunting than most people know.  He hunted on some land near Raccoon Road and US 60, just east of Granby, for several years and had a blast.  I always enjoyed the stories he would tell about his adventures in the woods.  He did not have to get a deer to be happy.

Running is a hobby shared by many people, including my wife.  Denita loves to run.  She runs when it’s cold and she runs when it is hot.  She has run the Old Mining Town Days 5k, several times, and she has run the Dogwood Run, in Neosho – winning the female division one year.  Running releases stress for her and she is happier after a long jaunt around town.  She does not have to win a race to be happy.

For me, I love model trains.  I have some really nice old Lionel model trains, some of which used to be my Dad’s, when he was a boy.  Unfortunately, the house I have now does not have a basement so there is nowhere to setup my trains and magical pretend town.  But, just knowing my trains are available and ready for installment when the right setting presents itself is enough to keep me dreaming of the iron horse rolling down the track.  I don’t have to have them running to be happy.

Another hobby of mine, is debating.  I love to debate issues.  I don’t really care what the issue is.  Look me up sometime – give me a topic and I will debate it with you.  I don’t even care which side of the issue you give me, I am an equal opportunity “arguer” and I will take you on.  I don’t have to argue for the side I really care about to be happy.

Lee Trevino had a great situation, he could play golf everyday and get paid, but it really did not matter to him – he was happy doing something he so genuinely loved.  We all need to have a hobby and enjoy ourselves.  We don’t have to “accomplish” anything; just the joy of knowing we are doing something we love is enough.  Be happy and live your hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment