Wednesday, March 09, 2016

"The American Dream, as I see it". (Immigrants are not the problem, "we" are.)


      As a young child, I grew up believing in "The American Dream".  My family always told me and my sister we could be whatever we wanted to be, as long as we were willing to work hard.  My Father demonstrated this ideal to perfection.  He worked long hours during evenings, holidays, weekends.  He worked.  He worked to support our Family, to improve our lives.  Never at any time did I think I could fail in life, if I were willing to work hard.  

      As I have grown and experienced the World, many of my beliefs have changed.  I have seen things, made mistakes, learned from others, but one thing never changed - in fact if anything it has become more solidified - and that is what my Father taught us.  You CAN accomplish anything, if you are willing to work hard. 

      When I was in grade school, I became a real American Patriot.  It was then that my love of America grew.  I learned there was no better Country, to grow up in.  There was no better land, for real opportunity.  It was implanted in my DNA.  This is still true today.  There is no better Country, than the United States of America.  We are not perfect and I think we have much room for growth.  

      One of the best parts of America is our willingness to allow others to speak freely.  We can pretty much say whatever we wish, without fear of criminal prosecution.  That is amazing.  Even today, many Nations still have restrictions on speech.  In Germany, for example, there continues to be restrictions on Nazi related works and speech.  Is that speech vile?  Of course, but should it be banned?  Who decides?  You? Me?  

     Point is, America is great because our forefathers were fleeing persecution and faults they experienced, in other Countries.  In order to keep America great, we must be willing to be honest with one another and to speak freely.  Speak our minds, in a civilized way, so we may see things from different perspectives and work to solve our problems.  This is what led me to write, tonight. 

     Earlier today, I read a piece in The Atlantic  about how certain immigrants view The American Dream.  This led me to want to express my views on the American Dream..........

     Contrary to what many of my neighbors and Donald Trump believe, immigrants are not our problem.  We do not need to build a "wall".  We do not need Mexico to build a "wall".  We need to look in the mirror and be honest about "The American Dream, as I see it".

     After working as a police officer for more than 20 years and volunteering in many social capacities, I have come into contact with most all segments of society.  I have grown frustrated with people and their bigotry.  Their blindness to what is actually happening....again, in "my" opinion.  

     When I use the term "we", I mean "us", "Americans", "people who have been born and raised in these here parts", get it?  Ok.

     "We" are the problem, because we have decided it is OK for people to be declared "disabled", because they have a drug addiction, drink too much beer, have a sore back - but could still work at some job........I think you get the idea.  We have made it easier for people to stay at home, than for them to work.  It is easier for some people to qualify for Food Stamps, if they limit the hours they work, so they may get the maximum allotment from The State.  We have become a Nation entitled to all we want, without having to put "any skin in the game".

     Now, "We" complain about immigrants "flooding" into "our" home and taking away our jobs.  "We" complain "they" all need to be deported.  Shipped "back to where they came from, because they broke the law to get here".  What "law" did they "really" break?  They broke the "law" that wants to stop them from having a better life, for their kids.  The "law" that does not want them to be "free" and get a great education.

     Some of you will be fuming, by this point in my rant, but please allow me to have "free speech" and ask that you kindly take a deep breath and challenge yourself, right here, right now.  Why have "these people" come to America?  I think we can all agree, the vast majority of them have come here to seek a better life.  Chase the real "American Dream", which "we" have declared dead.  BUT WAIT, it is not dead, it is there for the picking, but YOU have to be willing to work to harness it.

     I am in a new career, now, and recently I came across a child, from Somalia.  This child was in McDonald County and he worked on a farm.  His father worked at a chicken plant, in Noel.  When I came across them, the child was tired and not feeling well.  He claimed to be sick.  He appeared to be sick.  Like most kids, he said to his Father, "Now, I get to stay home from school!", as if he was excited at the prospect.  However, his Father said, "I was shot at.  I fought to come here.  I risked your life, your sister's life, your Momma's life, to come to America!  I fought so you could learn and be scientist!  Be great!  I fought so you, would not have to work in a chicken plant!  Tomorrow, you go to school!  You learn!  You become scientist!"

      That moment was defining for me.  Do all fresh immigrants feel this way?  Probably not.  Do most fresh immigrants feel this way?  I believe so!  My Dad felt this way.  He taught me in a similar manner.  I could see my own Father, in this man from a land in Africa.  A man I knew nothing about, I suddenly knew everything about.  A man, who like me, loved America.  Who understood "The American Dream" and knew in order to grab it and not work in a chicken plant, you would have to go to school when you did not feel your best.

     How many of "us" teach our kids, like this, now?  How many of "us" believe it is better to work three jobs and only sleep five hours a day, in order to remain off of Government Assistance Programs?  

     As our Nation is in the middle of a historic Presidential campaign, I feel the issues are being "hyped".  They are being thrown into five second sound bites, where none of us really stop to think.........what would it take to "Make America Great Again"?

    How about we only give government assistance to those able bodied people, who are willing to work hard?  We have a crisis with our infrastructure, as our water and sewer systems crumble, and our bridges crack.  Could we not teach the masses how to pour concrete, drive heavy equipment, dig up trenches for new water lines?  Why should it be more rewarding to sit on your couch, than to rebuild Interstate 70? 

     This leads me to ask.....as many of you are clamoring to build a "wall" across the Mexican Border, have you thought for a minute that maybe we are wanting to keep the wrong folks constrained, by that very barrier? 

     Would it not make more sense to allow the hard working people, who seek a better life, to come IN; while we encourage those of "us" sitting on the couch to get OUT?  You see, I am in favor of a different kind of immigration policy.....I think we should keep the eleven million who came here to work and we should ship out the red blooded, rednecks, who just want to cash a check.  One we can not cash!

If we can't agree, can't we at least be civil?

 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment